Jump to Navigation

Student & Visitor Visas

Immigration Help With Student and Visitor Visas

If you are coming to the U.S. to visit or to study, the immigration law attorneys of Ferman Law, PLLC can help you select and obtain the appropriate type of nonimmigrant visa. Call our office in Minnesota at 651-968-0551 to discuss your plans.

Student Visas

More than half a million international students enroll in U.S. universities, colleges and other institutions of higher learning every year. Most students obtain an F-1 or M-1 visa, which allows them to study in the U.S. for the duration of their studies. The F-1 visa is given to college and university students. The M-1 visa is for students in vocational education programs.

Since 9/11, people requesting or holding student visas have received far more scrutiny. Today the status of foreign students is tracked. Educational institutions must verify that student visa holders are enrolled and taking a full credit load each semester.

Reinstatement of Student Status

Students who enter the U.S. on a student visa can fall out of status if they are no longer attending school full time. This can happen if the student becomes seriously ill, attends school part time or cannot afford the tuition. Our immigration lawyers can help students with reinstatement of their F-1 or M-1 status.

Tourist Visas and Business Visitor Visas

If you are planning a trip to the U.S. for business or pleasure, you may — or may not — need a visa, depending on your country of nationality. Citizens of the 36 visa waiver countries generally do not need a visa to visit the U.S. People who are inadmissible, those who plan to travel in a private aircraft, individuals with a criminal conviction or previous U.S. immigration violation and people from non-visa waiver countries must apply for a visa.

Our immigration lawyers can help you determine if you need a visa and, if so, which type is most appropriate for your circumstances. Vacationers and tourists typically obtain a B-1/B-2 visa. Those coming to the U.S. on business usually obtain a B-1 visa or a combined B-1/B-2 visa.

There are a number of different sub-groups of B-1 visitor visas, each with its own restrictions and requirements. For more specific information, please visit our B-1, B-2 visitor visa page and contact our Minnesota office. Call 651-968-0551.

Minnesota Office:

Ferman Law, PLLC
201 West Burnsville Parkway Suite 110
Burnsville, MN 55337

Phone: 651-968-0551
Fax: 952-303-5453
E-mail Map & Directions

Florida Office:

7389 Byrons Way
Naples, FL 34113-3169
Map & Directions

UK phone numbers:
T: +44 (0)7710 751266.

Visit our U.K. Web site

Contact Ferman Law

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.