Call or e-mail now for personalized service from highly experienced attorneys
I Otherservices

Returning Resident Application

If you are a U.S. permanent resident who has been outside the U.S. for a year or more, you will be deemed to have lost your permanent residence. In order to return to the U.S. as a permanent resident, you will need to file a returning resident application. To qualify as a returning resident, you will need to show that you left the U.S. with the intention of returning, that you have not abandoned this intention, and are returning to the U.S. from a temporary visit abroad. You will also be required to prove that your protracted absence was caused by reasons beyond your control and for which you were not responsible.

An applicant whose conditional resident status has not been removed cannot apply for returning resident status.

If your application for returning resident status is approved, you will need to apply for an immigrant visa. You will also be required to go through the medical examination again and attend an immigrant visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

How We Can Help You

Ferman Law can help you put together a compelling case to show that you meet the criteria for returning resident status. We will prepare the required forms for the returning resident application and the immigrant visa application. We will also assist you with the collection of the supporting documentation for both applications. When it is time for your immigrant visa interview, we will prepare you for the interview so that you know what to expect when you visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.